LARNE in 1888.
Estimated population, including Larne Harbour and Clonlee, over 5,000.
Owing to its favourable situation on the eastern coast, Larne has a future which should not
be difficult to forecast. A direct railway connection makes it the seaport of the populous
and growing town of Ballymena, 21 miles to the north-west and of all the smaller towns
lying between. It is the market for a good farming country, and has several important industries,
giving extensive employment. Larne is also an excellent watering place, a most popular day
resort for excursionists, and the point of departure to the Giants' Causeway, by way of
Carncastle, Glenarm, Carnlough, Garronpoint, Glenariffe, Cushendall, and Ballycastle.
The scenery is rich in variations, including beautifully planted hills, green slopes, glens and
cascades. The town itself is almost surrounded by hills, and forms not the least of the attractive
features in the many views obtainable from elevated positions in the vicinity. Larne Lough
begins at the Harbour, passing between Island Magee and a strip of land called the Curran.
It extends for about seven miles south by east. Much progress has been made at Larne in the
matter of building. Nearly all the streets have substantial and tastefully fitted houses. The
warehouses arc well stocked, and the goods in each displayed in capital style. The Larne
people are proud of their town, and show a great deal of public spirit in dealing with matters
that tend to its advancement. In recent years several new streets and places have been added,
and a large amount expended in the erection of private dwellings. Among the recent sightly
improvements was the laying of granite concrete sidewalks in Main street.
A special Committee of Residents, appointed in 1885, has done valuable service in increasing
the advantages for families during the summer months. Bathing facilities for both sexes were
increased, and much other work equally important was satisfactorily accomplished. The Committee,
which still continues in existence, is made up as follows :-Messrs. James Boyd, Honorary Secretary;
Edward Cooper, William Cummins, A. Dudgeon, John Fullerton, Treasurer ; Charles Howden,
Walter Horner, W. P. Holmes, J. Imrie, Robt. J. Long, John McDowell, William Pinkerton, and
J. Robinson. At the suggestion of this body the Northern Counties' Railway Company has made
it possible for gentlemen doing business in Belfast, 231/4 miles south-west, to reach there every
morning in 55 minutes, starting from Larne at 8.20.
extracted from Bassett's Book of Antrim 1888
reprinted by Books Ulster, Bangor
to return to Larne on the NET click here