LARNE in 1888.

GLENOE AND LYNN WATER-FALLS, KILWAUGHTER CASTLE, BLACK CAVE, WALKS, BATHING PLACES, ETC.


Glenoe Water-Fall is 3 1/2 miles to the south-west of Larne. Immediately above the village
of the same name there are four cascades within a short distance of each other, the
last being formed by a cutting about 50 feet high, between banks, beautifully planted.
Carpets of moss and ivy on the slopes, encourage the growth of ferns in variety. The
water from the fall runs through a small park containing many splendid beeches. Glenoe
village is in the postal district of Ralloo, Larne. At Ardmore, near the residence of
Mrs. McCormick, on the return to town, a charming view is obtained. It includes the
Harbour, Island Magee, and the Scotch Coast. The Lynn water-fall is about 2 miles from
Larne, past the new Grammar School and Glebe House, and the Toppagh, from which is obtained
a view of the coast as far as Torr Head. The Lynn water-fall is between 40 and 50 feet
high, and is fed by a small stream coming from hills within a few miles. At the point where
the stream is interrupted, there are limestone cliffs, over 100 feet high, the sides of
which are partly covered with verdure. Long streamers of ivy hang down, and with fringes
of hawthorn at the top, produce quite a striking effect. In one of the cliffs, at a height
of about 50 feet, there is a cave, which at one time was very much larger. A portion of
the roof that fell, hollow side up, is called the Giant's Chair. It is about 10 feet high,
and its arms are covered with grass, ferns and moss.
Kilwaughter Castle, belonging to Mr. William Agnew, is about 3 1/2 miles to the south-west of
Larne, in the parish of the same name. The building is spacious, and the demense richly
planted with oaks, beeches, sycamores, etc. An artificial lake, in sight of the castle,
is well stocked with trout. A small stream disappears in one of the plantations, and
runs under ground to Larne Lough. Kilwaughter demense is freely opened to the public,
and is a very popular resort for picnic and excursion parties. There is a sub-post office
to Larne at Kilwaughter. The names of the principal residents appear in the Larne list of
Farmers and Residents. Mr. Hugh Bailie's limeworks in this parish, are extensive. The
limestone is said to contain 99 per cent. of lime.
Millbrook, like Ralloo and Kilwaughter, is a rural sub-post office to Larne, 2 miles
distant, on the road to Ballymena. The chief interest attaching to it is derived from
the presence of a linen weaving factory and yarn bleach works, owned by Mr. John McFerran,
of Belfast. The factory, which has 250 power looms, is let to Messrs. Hill, and the bleach
works to Messrs. M'Cleave and Calwell. Linen bleaching was carried on here as early as 1780.
The Millbrook property comprises 110 statute acres, and contains one of the finest springs
in Ireland.
Agnew Hill, rising to a height of 1,658 feet, impresses itself most invitingly in the
prospect from below Main-street, Larne.
The Black Cave is one of the sights of Larne, with which acquaintance is made in the
drive along the Coast road. It is a little over a mile from the centre of the town. To
enumerate the agreeable. walks radiating from Larne as a centre would be a task of some length.
Probably the most highly-favoured resort is the Bank Heads, a series of green amphitheatres,
which burst upon the view at the end of a narrow and tortuous lane leading from the Glenarm road.
Upon these verdant steps the summer population delight to recline and divide time between the
view of ocean, rocks, and sky, and the consumption of light literature. In the morning the
scene is enhanced by the merry business of the bathers on the beach far below.
Another pleasant ramble is to climb Casements' Braes, the heights that overhang the road to Glynn.
A marvellous coast picture may be enjoyed from the top, which is reached by beech-shaded avenues.
The way to Glynn has quieter charms, reeded marshes,ferny dykes, and rose-covered cottages.
From the Bank Heads to the Curran is a long and pleasantly laid out road, with green fields at o
ne side and the sea at the other. This is provided with frequent comfortable seats. A pleasant
lane leads from it by a short cut to the Curran road.
The bathing-places for men and women are conveniently situated, and easily approached from
the principal thoroughfare. For the use of boxes the charge is 1d. each time, or 1s. 6d.
per month. This includes first-rate attendance.

extracted from Bassett's Book of Antrim 1888
reprinted by Books Ulster, Bangor
www.bookulster.com

 

to return to Larne on the NET click here